Friday, February 15, 2008

EXAMPLE ASSIGNMENT FOR MY STUDENTS...

YOUR PERSONAL BLOG - SPRING 2008 - ASSIGNMENT

PURPOSE: To create a reflective writing that will help track our progress through the covered science material. The purpose is to reflect on meaning and the things that are of interest to you in relation to science. The blog must be kept up weekly!

MECHANICS:

Go to Google Apps - Documents
  • Create a new document (YOU NEED TO DO THIS ONLY ONCE!) You will add your reflections to this one document every week
  • Change the title of the document to: <YOUR NAME> - BLOG
  • The document will have inside the following entries - with the LATEST ALWAYS ON TOP.
TITLE (Your own Design)
<Date> <First Paragraph.....>
<Second Paragraph...>
<Optional: Third Paragraph>

<Date>
<First Paragraph.....>
<Second Paragraph...>
<Optional: Third Paragraph>

ETC...
Content:
FIRST PARAGRAPH: What did I learn this past week? Reflect on the warmups, the lecture, the reading, the labs, the assginments.
SECOND PARAGRAPH: This is the important reflective paragraph: What does it mean to me? or, What does it potentially mean to me? What is the impact on my life?
THIRD PARAGRAPH: This is for extra credit - one paragraph on any science topic of interest to you - in any field of science - something you have read, something that you find interesting, an article you have read, anything on the news that week - etc. This last paragraph is optional.
Quality
Always spell check your work - do your best writing - show off! :)
Sharing
Follow the normal protocol - SHARE with the teacher as "Collaborator" and Invite Collaborator. Please do not e-mail your document.

EXAMPLE OF POSTED BLOGS:

Oscar's Journal

2/14/08

Happy Valentine's day! This week we started the new unit - Physics. The emphasis was speed. How fast do runners, whales, and dominoes fall. I think Mr. Hirmas was trying to cover the standard. We also learned what is the standard for physics. Oh, the big idea... yeah: motion.......

What does it mean to me? well - I don't know except that as a soccer player... there is lots of motion. I found a cool site that talks about soccer and physics at: http://soccerballworld.com/Physics.htm

2/8/08

Well... the last two weeks we covered: the cell cycle, cell division (two types: Mitosis & Meiosis). We learned about the Mitosis phases - remembered by the phrase: "you Promised Me Ana's Telephone" the acronym Pro Me Ana Tel then becomes Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase - each leading to cytokenisis the actual dividing of the cell. We learned about sex - that Meiosis is sex division resulting in 4 daughter cells (Mitosis only two) but meiosis has 1/2 the chromosomes....something like that. We also covered mutations types and the disease cancer - nasty stuff.

What does it mean to me? Well honestly I am not sure. I am young so cancer and stuff probably won't affect me. But my grandpa had cancer and died - I wish I knew even more about how sick he was. This bio stuff is interesting and I feel better prepared to even talk to my doctor. Will I be a scientist based on this? I am not sure - I rather go into business - but it is good to know medicine.

No comments: