Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A DROP OF DESERT DEW

As one gets to know other teachers professionally whether they are from the University setting or from peers at school – natural friendships and mutual respect develops. As I think about my personal growth in this area in my recent career – I found some interesting observations about those I respect and admire: they are passionate about teaching and making a difference in their profession. Tay Cooper is admired by his peers, administration and seeing him in action when issues arise is a learning experience for all those that observe and learn from him. A few examples in my extremely limited “hallway” contacts with Tay: he encourages me, listes to me, appreciates the work I am doing, sees value in my contributions, etc. Also, seeing him respond at large on mail to issues such as an intrusive ping against a teacher – his response reads as a complete lesson in history and civics – very impressive. What a precious asset to our school.

There are others that I have seen as well… early morning and some late evenings – thank you folks for being an example.

I found out that I also need a mentor at the University level that can bring into focus some of the issues I observe in my daily work. I need the perspective of someone with passion and experience as a teacher, administrator, University Professor and now Provost. That man for me is my friend and professor: Juan Necochea. At the drop of a hat I have an invite to visit him at The National Hispanic University in San Jose – to discuss some things that have been rattling in by brain. Juan is a drop of desert dew – all teachers need this source of refreshment.


No comments: