Understanding by Design - Quick Start
- Identify Desired Results
- What are the major content goals of the unit (Content Standards)?
- What is the BIG IDEA that helps hang the unit together?
- What are the Essential Questions in the Unit that lead to the big idea?
- What is the Knowledge & Skills that the students need to master in this unit? (Students will be able to…)
- What is the long-term Enduring Understanding that the students will remember tomorrow, next week, next year,10-20 years from now?
- How will you share and use big idea/objectives to inspire students to think?
- What Evidence will the student have to show that he/she has mastered the material? Will the student’s evidence of mastery be sufficient to be validated by more than one teacher? Why plan instruction if you don’t know how to measure it?
- What Formative assessments & Summative assessments will you use?
- What Authentic assessments will you use?
i. Project evidence?
ii. Oral evidence? Other evidence?
- Which of the assessments will be designed and used in common between teachers? Does everyone teaching the subject know what these are?
- How will you plan the learning instruction?
- Is the pacing plan in place? Does it logically tie in all the major themes of the unit? Has the teaching plan pacing and strategy been reviewed with other experts?
- Do you know and have access to all the artifacts & tools that may be used in the lessons? Do you know if other teachers have similar material that might help enrich the resources to teach the unit? Is it all in one place or do you have to get it all together?
- Do you have to invent new things in order to teach the unit? If so have you planned the time to do so?
- Are you up to date on the latest information regarding your unit – so it is fresh and not stale?
- What strategic approach to instruction will you be following? Inquiry-based instruction? Student-centered instruction? Tradition instruction?
- Are you free to teach to your strengths following your plan?
- After your pacing is in place are your lesson plans complete? Do they follow the key SIOP® effective teaching elements?