Tuesday, February 08, 2011

DISCOVERY!

I came across a book I acquired in Pasadena California many many years ago. My kids grew up with this book: Selected Poems for Small Children.... Lots of memories came flooding... pray my kids remember...Here is one:

They Sting

A mosquito is
A funny thing!
Before he'll sting
He'll sing an' sing!

An' if you're near
Or if you're far
Mosquitos know
JUST - where you are!

An' perching lightly
On your face
They'll bite you 
On the tenderest place!

Then... when they've had
A bit to eat,
They'll b-z-z-z away,
An' - bite your feet!

Sometimes - you s-q-u-a-s-h
Them very flat,
Poor things, they can't
B-z-z-z, after THAT!!!

But as Mosquitos
Are a pest,
I s'pose the s-q-u-a-s-h-e-d ones
Are the BEST!!

(Alicia Aspinwall, from Shrot Poems for Short People)

No comments: