Saturday, April 12, 2008

LEARNING STYLES

What are learning styles? At first glance it seems that learning styles are really preferred “living” preferences. For example “visual learners” probably enjoy a movie rather than a book, yet “auditory learners” probably enjoy a concert (Classical or Acid Rock), and “Kinesthetic learners” probably enjoy an outdoor restaurant with delicious food steaming and a good glass of wine. But can we really make that much of styles as a mark of distinction? I am not sure.

I have always thought myself for example as a “visual learner” – and I am! I like to see graphic organizers, seeing a complete context, seeing the “big picture.” At the same time I like to walk by the beach (Kinesthetic – dig?), enjoy the beauty of the ocean sights (Visual – see?) and listen to my iPod (Auditor – hear?). I could add that if I pick up an ice cream from a vendor, then I taste and enjoy the smell of that fruity treat as well….ahhhh, heavenly! All of this to say that, in my case at least, I have been blessed with five senses to enjoy the moment: a beautiful beach stroll. My wife on the other hand seems to have a sixth sense which most men lack – but that is another story.

I think we all have preferences but we use all our faculties to learn. We use our senses to create context, to form knowledge, problem solve, analyze, and achieve a thorough understanding of a subject – mastery – if you will. I think that the answer in the classroom is balance. We have to address all the senses as input venues into the student’s processing centers. Ultimately preferences need to be taken into account and addressed - this could perhaps be done using differentiated instruction. What do you think?

Picture Courtesy of LA Fitness

No comments: