Saturday, November 11, 2006

VETERAN'S DAY

Thank you Vets for your service!

I wrapped up my week of teaching with a small civic component for all my periods. I shared a veteran’s day thank you clip by Jennifer Love Hewitt – I then gave my students (9th-11th grade) the following prompt:

Prompt:
Veteran’s days honors those who are serving and those who have served our nation. Freedom is never free… Please think about freedom and science… Ponder about what a free society and science brings to the world…You can also think about the opposite, what a society that does not have freedom means to science… Think about science and your learning – what does it all mean?

Write two complete paragraphs as to what you think freedom means to scientific inquiry, the scientific method, and science in general and you personally.

----------------------------------------------------------
The responses were amazing… from total trite and tripe to tremendous writing and heartfelt personal meaning… overall, I was very encouraged.

By the way here is a great site for your perusal:


No comments: