Thursday, April 07, 2005

JOURNAL 04-07-05

Technology is of course a tool to serve us. But definitely there is a point of diminishing returns. It seems that sometimes when the technology gets in the way of achieving our group or individual objectives. Take for example our technology midterm….

I thought the Mac vs. PC issue was settled – Macs, legend tells us, are far superior to PCs in terms of ease of use with extremely intuitive and inherently reliable. Well, having no other choice – reality hit me like a 2 x 4! Macs are as much of a pain at times as regular old Windows PCs – the pain is doubly bad when you don’t know the nuances of the Mac’s interface…. For example, for the life of me I could not bring up two copies of Explorer at the same time!

Anyway, in the midst of creating a PowerPoint and adding the picture from the web to a slide – the Mac made this sickening “pop” sound and “poof” the machine shut down! The incident thank goodness was witnessed by the professor! After a power-up – the file recovered (Luckily I had been saving it every so often while I was creating it – a good habit from old IT experience). Well the Mac flaked out on me three times but I was so close finishing that recreating it elsewhere would have taken too long. Finally, finally I finished and uploaded the file to WebCT. To complete the second part of the midterm I moved to a new Mac to create the Word document. This machine held its own; it just had a crazy mouse – but slowly I got it finished. In fact I ended up completing the mid-term including the upload with about 2 minutes to spare!

Technology! I wish I had a nickel for every time I had to boot a PC or struggle through the “friendly” interface of a Mac. I think I would be richer than Gates and Jobs…

By the way, what is your PC technology preference? (I am leaning towards Linux with a good vi editor! – buahhahahahah!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling of not knowing the interface with the Mac. I had the problem of not being able to pull up two pages of IE also. I was most frustrated. The midterm didn't go well because I didn't know the Mac. Like instructor said, "Macs were here to learn." Moral to story, go outside the comfort zone.