Thursday, February 10, 2005

Teaching journey

It feels like a dream to go back to the year 2000 when I decided to go back to school and complete a second bachelor degree in history... my first degree is in Geology - but my career is in computers! Go figure. I guess I always wanted to be a teacher and I love history!

In any case, it was a great experience to go back to school as an adult. Some day I will expound. Let me just share that working full-time and going to school part-time was/is a wee-bit stressful at times.

Well, it is done! I graduated with a history degree in December 2004 - now it is time to move forward with the credential program... thus this Education 422 (Technology) class.

Oh, by the way, I took two of the prerequisite classes to get into the teaching credential program: Education as a profession, and Multiculturalism during my last semester. Lots of busy work, some productive, some - oh well, never mind. I am glad these are behind me. Two "A"s by the way :)

OK - so what's next?

A miasma of requirements! There is a plan but never a straight line - you really have to work hard to get things in order. I guess this is part of the challenge - so you roll with the punches... I pray there be value in this excercise and the upcoming education classes.

Required:

  • Computer use in the classroom - done; got an A in the class
  • Apply to graduate school - get admitted and enrolled - done; admitted
  • Apply to the College of Education - huge application - done; admitted
  • Interview with College of Education - done; ~90 slots for 150+ applicants!
  • Fingerprinting - done; livescan done at the Escondido Police 4/5/05
  • State Clearance - done; cleared July 2005
  • TB test - taken; passed, and submitted to COE 4/18/05
  • CBEST Test - taken 2/19/05; passed!
  • CSET Test - World History - taken 3/19/05; passed!
  • CSET Test - US History - taken 5/21/05; passed!
  • CSET Test - CA History - taken 7/16/05; passed!
  • Got accepted into the program (Single Subject Part-Time)! - April 29th, 2005
  • First Aid Class (Red Cross) - taken; passed; and submitted to COE July 2005

Onward and upward....

No comments: